Media Center - View |
Alendronate (by mouth):
- How to use this medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions if you need to take calcium and vitamin D supplements.
- If any of this medicine stays in your esophagus, it may cause serious damage. To lower the risk of this problem, use this medicine exactly as directed.
- Take this medicine as soon as you get out of bed in the morning, before you eat or drink anything (except water).
- Tablet: swallow the tablet whole with a large glass (6 to 8 ounces) of plain water only (not mineral water, coffee, tea, soda, juice, or any other liquid). Do not chew or sucj on the tablet.
- Take this medicine while you are sitting or standing. Do not take it while you are in bed or at bedtime.
- Do not lie down for at least 30 minutes after you took the medicine, and do not lie down until after you have eaten some food.
Drugs and foods to avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over the counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using aspirin or products that contain aspirin, or any type of NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (such as diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, Advil®, Level®, Celebrex®, Voltaren®).
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using medicine or receiving treatments that weaken your immune system, such as cancer treatment, radiation treatment, or steroids (such as dexamethasone, hydrocortisone, methylprednisolone, prednisolone, prednisone, Medrol®).
- Wait at least 30 minutes after you take alendronate before you take any other oral medicine, including aluminum, magnesium, iron, or calcium supplements and antacids (such as Maalox®, Mylanta®, Tums®).